Award Category Descriptions
Announcing the second annual East Bay Innovation Awards to celebrate and recognize the significant contributors to the East Bay's unique culture and legacy of innovation and its impact on the regional economy!
Nominations will be reviewed by an independent panel of experts in each of the following categories:
- Clean Tech: Products, services, and processes that harness renewable materials and energy sources, dramatically reduce the use of natural resources, and cut or eliminate emissions and wastes.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Activities that (a) depend on the use and coordination of information, automation, computation, software, sensing and networking, and/or (b) make use of cutting-edge materials and emerging capabilities enabled by the physical and biological sciences to make existing products in new ways or make new products emerging from these new, advanced technologies.
- Food: Agriculture, viticulture, or food and/or beverage design, production, or distribution.
- Information and/or Communication Technology: The development, implementation, and maintenance of computer hardware and software systems to organize and communicate information electronically.
- Life Sciences: Companies in the fields of biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, biomedical technologies or devices, medical equipment, life systems technologies, nutraceuticals, cosmeceuticals. This category also includes healthcare: providers of diagnostic, preventive, remedial, and therapeutic services such as doctors, nurses, hospitals and other private, public, and non-profit organizations.
- Engineering and Design: The use of science, math, or artistry to solve problems or plan or present something in a new way.
- Education: Private sector initiatives which pioneer innovative connections between the world of work and the world of learning to develop a more adaptable workforce.
- Catalyst: An individual, organization, or company that is currently transcending organizational boundaries to pull East Bay assets together in new ways and/or catalyze new thinking or processes.
- Legacy: An individual, organization, or company whose historical efforts in their industry have had a lasting impact on the culture of innovation in the East Bay.